About me as a Counsellor or Psychotherapist
I am a Chartered Psychologist, that is I am qualified in Counselling Psychology and have sufficient experience to be accredited as such by the Psychological Society of Ireland.
I have worked as a Psychotherapist or Counsellor in Cork, Kerry and Limerick, but now my practice is based in Bishopstown, Cork City. Click here
for maps and directions.
As well as being in private practice I work as a consultant counsellor for the HSE's Counselling in Primary Care service, CIPC. If you are a Medical Card holder, you can apply for eight free counselling sessions through your GP or your Primary Care Team.
I am also contracted by the HSE and private companies, to counsel adults who were abused as children.
I have also worked;
- for the HSE counselling survivors of sexual abuse
- as a Counsellor in an Institiute of Technology.
- as a Counsellor in an addiction centre in both groupwork and one to one counselling.
- as a Counsellor with people with an acquired brain injury, as well as their families.
- as a Psychologist, facilitating groups in Health Care settings
- as a Mentor to teenagers for the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC).
- as a Facilitator presenting parenting classes for the ISPCC.
- As a Psychologist, I have engaged in research with the National Suicide Research Foundation.
My background is in Humanistic and Existential counselling as well as Cognitive, Gestalt and Integrative Psychotherapy. I work with clients, at their pace, to help them articulate and identify their issues and explore them.
I have presented papers at the annual conference of the Psychological Society of Ireland and the International Association of Counselling conference.
I incorporate Mindfulness in my practice as a Therapist and I draw on meditation and yoga in both my practice and my own on-going personal development.
As well as being a Psychotherapist or Counselling Psychologist I have used my background in music in health and care settings. I have been associated with the Music Alive Project
and occasionally work in community centres.
I am a father with four grown up children and a fourteen year old son who keeps me on my toes.
Counselling Cork is a registered business no. 442352